Monday, March 19, 2007

Hard Drive Freak-out

Okay, this isn't going to be one of those thought-provoking posts, but my hands are still shaking from this scare and maybe posting it will help calm me down...

I was working on my Mac tonight and the TV was off, so it was very quiet all around. All of a sudden, I noticed this clicking that sounded like it was coming from my hard drive. Having suffered through 3 (yes, read that, three) catastrophic hard drive crashes since returning to HK, the first thing I thought was that my HD was about to crash.

Major panic. Check everything. Looks like it's working fine. Drive back to school, pick up backup drive, back up immediately. Do SMART disk check. Everything fine.

Puzzlement. Thought it was coming from the new DVR. Check that. Seems okay, hard drive's not really churning, therefore clicks shouldn't be coming from there. Starting to get really confused.

Turn off everything. Still hear clicks. Finally track down clicks to... my alarm clock.

I felt pretty stupid after that. Oh well, doesn't hurt to be careful, I suppose. But maybe I should have a backup drive at home as well, to save me the drive to the office next time...

Okay, so now that I've bored you stiff with my escapade, here's a pretty picture of the Church of the Good Shepherd in New Zealand. When I went in there, I immediately wanted to start singing the worship song "I lift my eyes up to the mountains -- where does my help come from? My help comes from You, Maker of Heaven, Creator of the Earth..."

No need for a stained-glass window for this church, not when they have such a wonderful reminder of scripture right there in front of them!

No comments: