Sunday, August 12, 2007

A New Font for the Highway

Maybe it's because my handwriting sucks, but for some reason, fonts (yes, typefaces) have always been a fascination for me, even though they may seem like the most boring thing on the earth to most people. A beautifully designed font, properly used, can make such a huge difference in the presentation of an essay or article.

This was why I was so interested to read this New York Times article talks about a new font that has been designed for use on the US highway signage system. It's amazing just how much work goes into designing a new font and making it usable. The entire article is very long, but there's an accompanying slideshow that's worth a look at if you don't want to read through the entire article.

I probably should put this into part of my HCI class.

2 comments:

StephenC said...

I like this clearview font. I always thought there are ways to make the letters more readable without making them larger.

It makes me cringe when people put Times fonts on powerpoint slides without thinking. I don't like it in the first place. Secondly, it is just harder to read than most other fonts from a distance.

tabbycat said...

Times does have an advantage -- it takes up a lot less space on the page.

But you're right, it doesn't belong on Powerpoint slides. It's far too fancy for something like that.

Helvetica is the one that I really don't like. Documents written in it look too much like one long email for my liking.