Friday, July 4, 2008

Oh, the stories they could tell...

I had an interesting experience yesterday with my cell phone. Shortly after noon, I realized that I did not have my cell phone with me. I wasn't alarmed at first; I often leave my cell phone in my office, but I started freaking out after I realized that it wasn't there, and wasn't in any of the places that I remembered going to, either. Considering that we're leaving on a service learning tour tomorrow, it would have been very inconvenient, to put it mildly, to lose the thing at this point.

I made a number of phone calls to my phone, to find that it was ringing, but nobody answered. That gave me some hope that the thing hadn't been stolen but was in fact sitting around somewhere still.

About 10 minutes later, I get a phone call from my mother, who told me that somebody had called home, asking if an iPhone had been lost. My parents arranged to meet the guy and hand over the phone -- bless his heart, the finder refused to take a reward, saying that it was his duty.

The interesting part is this: the finder said that he had picked up the phone in TST East. I hadn't been off campus all day. How could the thing have made it all the way over there? The only thing I can think of is that I dropped it somewhere on campus; somebody picked it up with the intention of stealing, but for some reason left it in TST East. But why that would happen is the question.

I wish that thing could talk and tell me where it'd been. For that matter, I wish I could put some sort of logging onto an inanimate object and leave it sitting around for somebody to pick up. I bet those things have interesting stories to tell.

No comments: